Sunday, January 17, 2010

How do I get my 3 year old to stop biting on her finger nails?

She is making her fingers raw , and making them hurt. I had the same habit when i was little. But I was older than her. My om had to go the Orthadontal route. But I dont want to have to do that just yet. What can i don that is safe for a 3 year old to stop her from doing this to her fingers. And yes she eats plenty so its not like she is hungry, when she is doing this.How do I get my 3 year old to stop biting on her finger nails?
paint your nails in front of her and when she asks if she can do it to tell her she has to stop biting her nails if you paint them and that if she doesnt stop then you will have to remove the polish





if you have to remove the polish use regular polish remover cause it's really nasty so it will probably help alot





also tell her after the first time that she can get her nails polished if she can go a whole day without biting them. start this at an hour then progress to a whole day as the polish wears off (if you can go 1 hour i'll polish your nails, next day if you can go 2 hours i'll fix them etc up to a whole day)





oh if you have mulitiple colors let her pick


if she can go a whole week without biting take her to the store and let her pick any nail colorHow do I get my 3 year old to stop biting on her finger nails?
don't they still have that nail polish you put on your nails that has a nasty taste when you bite on them?? maybe you could try that if its still around.





EDIT:


LOL i guess they do. thanks to Lovelykiaya!!
its kinda MEAN but get the stuff you put on your nails so you DONT bite them. Don't know what its called but its in the fingernail polish section of the store. IT tastes SO bad she will stop putting her fingers in her mouth.
yea, do what lovely said to do, either that OR put some hott sauce on her finger nails. it will work trust me.
Either get some of that 'Nail Biter' stuff, I think Sally Hansen makes it, or just ignore it...it often just stops on its own.
My dad was mean and put lemon juice and Tabasco sauce on my thumb to get me to stop sucking my thumb... it might work
they sell clear nail polish called bitter nails, at most drug stores. it tastes horrible!!! worked for me, im sure it will work for your little one=]

No comments:

Post a Comment