Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What is the best way to cut a 2 month old's finger nails?

Finger nail clippers, file them down, bite them?What is the best way to cut a 2 month old's finger nails?
Baby clippers and do it while sleeping. At two months old as long as he doesn't wiggle while doing it and you don't try to cut them back as far as they will go then you won't cut him.





A lot of people think they have ';cut'; their newborn's fingers the first time they do the nails. You are supposed to wait a minimum of 2 weeks to as long as possible before cutting a newborn's nails. There is skin still attached to the bottoms of the nail growth and that is what gets cut and bleeds when you try to do this too early. It doesn't hurt them or cause any problems but it sure makes Mommy feel bad! That's why the hospital tells you to keep mits on them so if the nails do get long you don't have to worry while you wait for the skin to retract naturally.





Oh, and if you do accidentally cut them, if it is a tiny cut - dip the finger in flour, it makes the cut clot instantly. Then about 15 minutes later you can wash it off gently and it should have stopped bleeding. Or you can go visit a vet and get a tube of styptic powder, it's what they use on animals when trimming claws if they cut the quick, it stops the bleeding right away and is perfectly safe to use on humans. My folks ran a dog kennel and for very minor cuts my Mom would sprinkle styptic powder when it was on hand or flour if we were in the house on the boo boo and we didn't need a band aid anymore.What is the best way to cut a 2 month old's finger nails?
While they're sleeping. With infant safety clippers.
DO NOT BITE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any doctor will tell you that causes bacteria under the finger nails. Wait until they take a nap and they are really asleep. Then trim them down and use a fine nail file and file them smooth. Please don't bite them.
I always bit my kids fingernails. When my daughter was about 5 days old I was going to cute her fingernails %26amp; I cute her finger by accident.It scared me after that I bit them.
I always use a baby nail clippers and clip them while my son is sleeping. Occasionally I may use a file but typically its the clippers. I would suggest using what your most comfortable with.
I always used a pair of baby nail scissors.


I tried to cut 'em straight out of the bath.


And I didn't try to get all of them at once.





I also did a lot of biting.





I know people file their babies' nails, but I can't imagine. Doesn't it take too long?
It is best to do this while the baby is sleeping. Do not use a grown up clippers, get one that is especially for infants. If you are too scared to do it, then just get a very small nail file and file away. Just don't do it to hard or too much. Baby's fingers/skin are delicate.
Bite them!
I wait till my son is napping and use a tiny nail file to take off any rough edges.
i clip the edge of every fingernail, and just peel them off. it makes it easier so that i don't go too far and make my daughter bleed. i also do it after a bath so they are softer, and it's so much quicker than biting, clipping the whole nail, or filing the nails. that makes it easier when you have a wriggling baby that just wants to get away.
Use baby clippers while they are nursing. I made up a song to sing while I did it and now that my son is older, if I sing the song he lets me have his hands and sits still while I cut his nails
I tried to use safety nail clippers once and I hurt my son so I bite them or file them down now. Biting is awkward sometimes because you may bite too low but filing is a win-win. Do what you feel comfortable doing.
I use baby finger nail clippers and I cut my son's nails when he's sleeping.....then if there's any sharp edges I use a file.
There are several options:





Do it when the baby is napping.


Chew them yourself


Use an baby emory board and just file them down


Distract the baby--sing a song, fun toy, daddy/mommy and do i then.





Good Luck,


I've tried them all over and over.
I always did it when my daughter was sleeping
It's totally your call. Everyone has their own opinions. I personally bit my son's nails (and still do) because nail clippers scared the crap out of me that I would make him bleed and nail files took too long and scared him. Of course, my mother in law *flipped out* and told me that I should never bite my son's nails....everyone has their own opinion. Do what feels right for you and your baby.
I use little baby clippers made by gerber. They look exactly like regular clippers, only they are smaller. I do it when my daughter is breastfeeding because she is relaxed and not moving very much so it is much easier to do without clipping too much!
There are baby nail clippers you can buy at the chemist. It's prefect for little finger nails.





The best time to cut his/her nails is when the baby is sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment