Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Why are there white spots on my finger nails?

I eat a very healthy diet and exercise regularly. I did used to think white spots on nails was calcium deficiency, but I drink around a pint-a-day.





Could it be a vitamin/mineral deficiency and if so, which minerals/vitamins and I deficient?





I could do with eating more fruit. Should I take a multi-vitamin as well?





Thanks for your help.Why are there white spots on my finger nails?
White marks in finger nails are quite common and are usually caused by a knock on the nail. This could be caused by trapping your finger or accidentally hitting the nail on something. Usually these marks will grow out with time and there is no need to worry.





However the spots could be caused by a number of other things too such as an infection. Sometimes you can pick up a fungal infection while having a manicure or even from the gym. The way to find out if this is the cause of your problem is to ask your GP to take a sample of nail tissue. If you have got an infection they are reasonably easy to treat.





Another condition that could cause white spots on your nails is eczema. So if you do have eczema and you have just found white spots on your nail, it is more than likely that it is the eczema that caused them.





Of course it could always mean that you are lacking in vitamins such as Zinc but that will have to be determined by a dermatologist or your GP.Why are there white spots on my finger nails?
this is normally a sign of lack in calcium. get some calcium tablets.
Iron deficiency.
Yes, the white spots on your nails represent calcium deficiency, although I read somewhere that they appear when a person is also deficient in zinc. A well balanced diet should solve the problem. If not, a multi-vitamin will surely solve the problem.


You should wait for more opinions though.
it is caused by possible having something hit your nail . Have you been doing some heavy manual labor recently?
I think its because you don't eat enough cheese or yogurt.
:) Don't worry about those. Those are very common. How do i know? lol because i have one myself. I thought it was something bad too but my doctor said something must have hit it.
i heard its not calcium defiency but iron.
Classical symptoms of a zinc deficiency.
a lot of people say that it's like due to calcium defiency as well.


you could try taking a multi-vitamin as well but i hear that they could also be down to having pressure put on the nails or banging them on something.

No comments:

Post a Comment