Thursday, January 21, 2010

How do I get rid of the calcuim spots on my finger nails?

I drink lots of milk - at least a glass a day and have cheese and stuff like that all the time. I have had them for ages and can't get rid of them. Does anyone have any tricks to get rid of them or do I just need more calcium? thanksHow do I get rid of the calcuim spots on my finger nails?
Not calcium, zinc deficiency. Since when are nails made out of calcium?





'True' Leukonychia





This is the most common form of Leukonychia, small white spots on the nails. Picking and biting of the nails are a prominent cause in young children and nail biters. In most cases, when white spots appear on a single or a couple of fingers or toes, the most common cause is injury to the base (matrix) of the nail. When this is the case, white spots disappear after around eight months, which is the amount of time necessary for nails to regrow completely.[8]





White spots showing up on all or nearly all nails for longer periods of time (months and years) can be due to one of several reasons. One common explanation is zinc deficiency.[9]





[edit] Diagnosis and treatment





A doctor will take a thorough medical history, and may test liver and kidney function. If a zinc deficiency is identified, a diet rich in zinc or zinc supplements may be administered.How do I get rid of the calcuim spots on my finger nails?
Is it the white patches you're talking about? The calcium defficiency thing is actually a myth. The white patch is bruising of the nail. It's probably from where you've accidently knocked it or something. You have to wait for them to grow out.


I got a book from the library the other day (I'm a chronic nail biter and was hoping the manky photos would put me off!!!) and it explained it all in there. I bite my nails in layers and the sheer damage I'd done to them, had cause them to bruise. I think it's been about a month and the white bits have almost grown out.
Let me put your mind at ease by telling you that these spots are not necessarily indicators of calcium deficiency.


i had them too and consulted my doc about the same... the best way to get rid of them is to let your nails out grow them... they'll slowly move out... and if you find them too ugly looking... you and keep you nails lightly painted till they grow to that extent... also, in case u r into the habit of eating nails - quit it ASAP!! and stop worrying !!
i heard that not all of them are actually caused by lack of calcium, it's actually when you bump them too hard, and once i jammed my finger in a cupboard lol (accidently) and a white spot appeared so i guess it's true :)





:P
sometimes you still get them even if you do consume lots of calcium, because your body doesn't process it:(, especially when your younger. and when you do get them you have to wait for them to grow out.
Yep you just need more calcium, take calcium supplements if consuming more calcium in regular food doesn't do the trick.
From what I understand they are myths. It means that you're damaging your nails before they've fully grown past the quick.


It's not linked to vitamin deficiency, unless someone knows better.


http://www.soundmedicine.iu.edu/segment.…
I rarely drink milk or take calcium supplements and I don't have those white marks, I think its a myth as to why they are there.
they are not calcium spots.that's what i have been told by the consultants at the hospital
Cut off your finger tips. That always does the trick.
you need more calcium
You could paint coloured nail varnish on them, but I don't think they will actually go away. I have them too :)
just forget about them

No comments:

Post a Comment