Saturday, January 23, 2010

I want to ask the parents of a little boy in my care to trim his finger nails. How do I phrase it nicely?

Because what I want to say is, ';Can you trim his nails so he doesn't scratch anybody and so that it makes hand-washing time easier?'; But it seems like a delicate thing to ask someone to parent their own kids. Advice?I want to ask the parents of a little boy in my care to trim his finger nails. How do I phrase it nicely?
It is a delicate subject, but it needs to be done. Maybe you could say ';can you trim his nails? hes been scratching other children on accident'; I wouldn't mention handwashing time, because they may take that offensively like you're calling him dirty. Another suggestion would be saying '; do you mind if I trim his fingernails so that he doesn't keep scratching the other kids on accident?'; There are always awkward moments that have to be dealt with when working with others. Good LuckI want to ask the parents of a little boy in my care to trim his finger nails. How do I phrase it nicely?
just do it urself
That sounds fine to me. It's right to the point. Go for it.
do it your self its not that big a deal i take care of other ppls children all the time and when they need things like that done i do it the parents usually are so busy working and every thing else they dont notice it!! never cut there hair though lol i never have but i do know a lady that did and it didnt go over well haha
Why don't you just buy a pair of nail trimmers and do it the next time you watch him?
';Can you trim his nails so that he doesn't scratch anyone? ';





That sounds perfect to me. I wouldn't be offended at all if someone asked me to trim my kids' nails.
My son is 4. His nails grow so fast I do it at least 2x a month or more. I have to remind myself often. You could just say ';Oh, I made a mental note to remind U ... '; when u mention it to her.





Don't lie or carry on like other people are telling you to say he might or is scratching someone else. It's obvious 'why' he needs them cut. Just let Mom know you happened to notice ... it's that time.
If he's in your care, why can't you just trim them when you have him and let them know what you did and tell them it was because he scratched you accidentely! Problem Solved!!
';oh hey.....scratched me today do you mind if i trim his nails?'; that should let them know they need to be done without stepping on the parents toes.
i have had my daycares tell me i need to trim my sons nails before....i felt bad thatg i had over looked it but i also understood y they needed to say something SO if you don't want to do it yourself just tell em as nice as u can
I have owned a day care in the past and the way I dealt with this situation is .... I would tell the parents that I was afraid _______ would scratch himself when we were waking them up from tv/nap time. It would bring attention to the parents and not make them mad. I let them think it was just to protect their child and didnt mention him scratching any other children or about washing hands. Good Luck
I'm a mom of a four year old and I don't think if you ask the parents to trim is his nails that you are telling them how to parent..maybe the don't realize that they are to long

No comments:

Post a Comment