Thursday, January 21, 2010

Is it okay to clip guinea pig's nails with regular finger nail clippers?

My piggie has long toe nails and I was wondering since I don't have one of those special small animal nail clippers if I could just use my own nail clippers (the one meant for humans)


Would it hurt her?


Will it split the nail?Is it okay to clip guinea pig's nails with regular finger nail clippers?
Absolutely! The smaller type of clippers work great!! I have been doing this for a while now with my guinea pig. It definitely will not hurt her, nor will it split the nail. You do have to be careful though that you don't clip them back too far. The end of the nail closest to the foot will be pink. This is because there is blood flowing in there. I have cut my guinea pigs toenails back too far before. If this happens immediately get a cold wet cloth and let her stand on it. She should be fine after a few minutes with minimal bleeding. Good luck!!Is it okay to clip guinea pig's nails with regular finger nail clippers?
yeh the human nail clippers are almost better than the ones bought for small animals in my experience. I use the human ones on all of my guinea pigs and they work very well. Just make sure not to cut too short as this will cut into the quick and cause the nail to bleed which is very painful for the piggy and this may result in your pig loosing trust in you.
I use human toe nail clippers on all 6 of my pigs and it works great-just watch out for the quick and don't cut too short-if your pigs nails are really long then the quick is most likely long as well. You'll want to start out by cutting a little off this week and then again in another week, each time you cut the quick recedes. Take a look at this link!


http://www.guinealynx.info/nails.html
Yea they work!
the work really well, ou can use them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment