Friday, January 15, 2010

How to stop my child from chewing his finger nails?

My 5 yr old will not stop chewing his finger nail off. No one in him direct family does it. I have no clue on how to stop it and it drives me crazy.How to stop my child from chewing his finger nails?
At some of the drug stores...like walgreen's...in the make-up/nail polish isle..they have a polish that stops adults from biting their nails..it really works for adults and kids...just a clear polish..taste really bad...now because of all the regulation/safety issues they may no longer make it or sale it...but some of the small drug store chains or maybe even a beauty supply place...had this..or sold it..i have asked for nail polish that stops biting...and they always use to get me the same thing...if not tell him...when he does not have his hands in his mouth...';It makes mommy real happy...(insert smile here)...when you keep your hands out of your mouth...(insert another smile and a hug)...followed by a huge parent summary on...nasty hand germs going in his mouth and down his tummy making him sick...%26amp; you love him well..no hands in mouth equals happy mommy...or how about.tell him.';.everytime i see your hands in your mouth i'm going to kiss you to death!';....lol...gotta love them...one more thing..he may just be a young 5 and still has a little oral stage..i have seen some 6 year olds..suck on the sleeve of their shirt all day...interesting...relax..it's a phase..does he have a etch-a- sketch...we could glue his hands to it...well i hope some of these are helpful...i have dealt with this situation many times....How to stop my child from chewing his finger nails?
They make a product that you can but that you put on their nails. It makes it taste really bad and he won't want to put his fingers in his mouth. Try to stay on top of trimming his nails so he has nothing to chew off. If the reason you are concerned about him chewing is germs then try to make sure he washes his hands regularly. Try your best to ignore the behavior because the more attention you give it the more he might do it. People in the family doing it or not doing it has nothing to do with whether or not someone chews their nails. It's just a habit that many people have. It can happen if the nails are long and they want them trimmed down right that second, they are under stress, or when they are nervous.
You might disagree with me, but your child is nervous, stressed and/or insecure. Teach your child how to relax and don't nag your child to stop. I finally stopped biting my nails when someone I admired told me I had nice, pretty hands. Wow. I stopped over the next few months. I still pick at my hands because I don't like dry skin to accumulate around my nails, so you can teach your child how to care for his nails; eg push the cuticle back after a bath or shower, add lotion if the cuticle gets too dry.





Btw, my family tried the sour stuff, clear nail polish and it only frustrated me to want to bite more. Get to the root of the problem, plus nail care and it will help his self-esteem.
same here sorry
When you figure it out, let me know.





I am 23 years old and I cannot stop biting my nails. I absolutely hate it! I want to stop, I tell myself I am going to stop.





It's almost like an obsessive compulsive type habit. It sounds crazy, but I have bitten them my entire life. My sister bites hers too.





I know when we were children, our parent were alcoholics and there was a lot of stressful situations, I have always contributed it to that. However, now that I am an adult and I cannot stop, I don't know what to do either.





I end up getting the acrylics on my finger nails, but I wish I didn't have to.





Good Luck.





EDIT: I agree with one person above me. There is something stressful going on. I find that when I am in a stressful situation I bite my nails more. I also got around nail polish, soaking my hands in things, etc.
I have a 7 year old who does the same thing and picked the habit up from me.





My dad did it, my grandmother did it. I am not out to place blame but I saw it, now he sees me doing it.





I get tired of family constantly telling him he should stop and telling me that I should stop. I think people should mind their own business.





There are two things that you can try on his nails, ';Bite It or Thum.';





I wish you luck.
To get him to stop, try putting something sour on his nails, or even a clear coat polish. I have read somewhere, can't remember where, that sometimes kids chew their nails because of a vitamin deficiency, so you may want to talk to his doctor also.
I remember when I was five, I used to suck my thumb, non stop! So my parents just put like something spicy on it. I helped. Or you two can make it fun. Just get an old sock, and make sock puppets. it'll help keep his mind off the nails, then when he goes to chew on them, he will get side tracked. = )
hi!!! so at your local pharmacy(c.v.s.) they sell nail polish that you put on your nails to prevents the child to chew on them. IT TASTE GROSS!!!! and that also prevent them to put it in their mouths!!


hoped i helped!!


TWILIGHT LOVER1234567
I still do it and I am 24 it is a nervous habit when I get upset nervous or uneasy about something they go right down to the quick! It is discusting but I do it and I don't even realize what I am doing till after it is over! Good luck!
It's not nothing you can stop. My parents tried to stop me from sucking my thumb and I still haven't and i'm 21 years old. Some people say when you bite your nails that your nervous about something.
http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/20鈥?/a>
I used to do this when I was little, until my mum offered me 5p every week for every unbitten nail.
try putting a drop of hot sauce on his fingers and the same for nose picking





my 3 year old brother does the same thing but he loves hot sauce ant would just lick it off but this might work for you
soak his hands in someting that he doesnt like idk if it works mabye i just thought of it i hope i helped like a bowl of onions or somethin like that
Yank down those panties and paddle that little bottom bright red! He'll stop.
It's not harmful.


Ignore it.
My father used chilli to rub on my fingers

No comments:

Post a Comment