Tuesday, January 19, 2010

How do i get her to stop biting her finger nails?

My 6 year old daughter has started biting her fingernail. She has been doing it for about 6 months and i don't know how to get her to stop. I have tried painting her nails so that she wouldn't bite them but that didn't work. Any suggestions?How do i get her to stop biting her finger nails?
I worked at CVS when I was younger, but I remember they had a product specifically for that in the nail care section, it was called No Bite or something like that...I think it might have a really sour taste to it, something to discourage biting.


Also, I remember a Berenstein Bear book where the sister bear had that problem, and they solved it by having a jar, where they'd put coins in it at the end of the day if she didnt bite at her nails that day. You could probably figure in a penalty into that amount if she does bite her nails some days and not others. (LIttle bribery technique, lol)How do i get her to stop biting her finger nails?
PUT TABACCO SAUCE ON THEM NOT TO HOT OR USE HAD AS NAILS BECAUSE IN THE NAIL AISLE THEY HAVE 100'S OF THINGS TO STOP NAIL BITTING AND THEY DO WORK MY FAMILY DID IT TO ME HOPE YOU THE BEST OF LUCK


KIMMY

Report Abuse



GREAT TALKING WITH YOU

Report Abuse



My daughter does the same thing. I made it a competition, I said to her lets see who can grow their nails the longest. And of course I won so we start over and over again becouse she hates to loose. I don't think she has figured out that Im doing this to keep her from biting her nails.

Report Abuse



I havebitten my nails before too.


What ever you do, just DON'T put tape at the end of her nails. Trust me- I've got plenty of experience!

Report Abuse



hot sauce the hottest kind you can fined.

Report Abuse



Tell her its like picking ur nose in public, same embarrassment. I had that problem and my mom told me that and i quit on the spot

Report Abuse



Get clear finger nail polish, but a thing of garlic in it. Wait a day or so and paint her nails. Its good for your nails plus she'll stop bitting them. They taste like garlic and smell like it too.

Report Abuse



you should put spicy sauce on her fingernails. I used to do the same thing when I was younger and my father did this to me and everytime I feel like biting my nails, I change my mind. If you do this, she'll stop biting her nails after 2 or 3 months.

Report Abuse



everytime she does it make her sit on her hands.. she'll hate sitting on her hands all kids do, or even just pain her nails and tell her not to ruin them ..

Report Abuse



put just a little bit


of tabasco sauce


in red fingernail polish


and put it on her nails


that will make her stop.

Report Abuse



I would find out what caused her 2 start the habit.What changed 6 mo ago that bothered her so that she is nervous.It is a subconscious habit%26amp;


whatever made her start is in her subconscious%26amp;she needs to deal with it or the habit will transfer to another one like cutting,bulima,etc..

Report Abuse



cut her nails!!!:P

Report Abuse



My mom used an old method that goes back to our roots in Puerto Rico. It's also cheap. She'd wait until I was asleep and then she'd rub fine ground black pepper on my nails. Believe me, I remember being really disgusted to bite them. I stopped. I clipped them myself at a young age afterwards.

Report Abuse



Nothing works am in my thirties now and a compulsive nail biter. Tried everything and NOTHING unfortunately worked. I SINCERELY hope you can break your daughter's habit. SHE has no control over it. She does it subconsciously so you will have to repeatedly tell her to stop.


Best Wishes.

Report Abuse



Put Rock Salt on the nubs. She'll stop soon enough.

Report Abuse



Ok, just let her do it till she hurts her self and lerns the hard way... but i never said hot sauce wouldent work ;)

Report Abuse



maby you should put something that smells orbtastes really bad on your kids nails. Or maby you should try to thet your kid get a better habbbit..

Report Abuse



My mom bought this nail hardener and smashed garlic into, as Jessica said earlier, and put in the freezer for about 10 minutes to let it harden after put in a cup of hot water and let settle for a few days. After that paint her nails and she would think twice before biting her nail, I know I did

Report Abuse



Great Answer! My friends used this and the habit stopped.

Report Abuse



have your daughter wear gloves or mittens or something

Report Abuse



i used to bite and i put hand santitizer on my hands so when i put my fingers in my mouth it would taste discusting trust me I STOPED

Report Abuse



teach her ways on how to put her hands in less-akward postitions in public, such as down by her waist or something.

Report Abuse



i'm Lauren delmoor!

Report Abuse



It is self mutilation.


Her cage is already too small.


This type of behavior is usually practiced by caged and severely bored animals.


What ever is frustrating her she is taking it out on herself.

Report Abuse



gloves?


its the least expensive.


and since decembers coming up....


pretty convenient id say :)

Report Abuse



I have been biting my fingernails for years. It's a bad habit that I can't get rid of. But to answer your question try putting disolved peper or something that tastes really bad or bitter.
I think this is very difficult...i have the same problem with my husband...done this done that and nothing works.it becomes a habit......she(your daughter) does this when she's nervous, maybe?..
If the stuff from the chemist doesn't work, try tobasco sauce.
I agree with Drew. I bit my nails forever and then my friend got me this stuff called No Bite. It tastes very bitter and I remember that I could not stand it. You just paint it on as nail polish and wait for it to dry. Since it is like nail polish the only way you can get it off is with nail polish remover.
tell her a story that happened to me: i bit my nail and it got stuck inbeetween my two front teeth, it hurt, and it wouldnt come out untill my mom got tweezers and pulled. that hurt too. if not ask a docter.
you can get a solution from your chemist that has a terrible taste and helps them not,but watch she dont go wash it off as she could be smart and do this.
My daughter is very nervous and has been biting hers for a few years, she's 8 now. I haven't been able to stop her either. I think it's a habit now that will be very hard to break due to her shyness

No comments:

Post a Comment